Friday, August 20, 2010

How to clean the 'fur' of an old soft toy?

Hi - I have a toy panda which was made in the 1940's. I think the material is cut mohair, stuffed with sawdust and it is really grubby. It belonged to my brother, who has now passed away, so I want to keep it for sentimental reasons but I would like to get it a bit cleaner if I could, without damaging it. Any ideas??



How to clean the 'fur' of an old soft toy?symatec



This is what I do with teddy bears: Use a mild detergent like clothes handwashing liquid. Foam it up in water and using the FOAM ONLY (no water) and a sponge to gently clean fur. Air dry. Not sure if I would do this on such an old bear though.



How to clean the 'fur' of an old soft toy?vista



Depending on the filling why not handwash it or put on a gentle 'wool' cycle in the washing machine. I have done this with some old teddies with good results
put it in a plastic bag and add some bicarbonate of soda, give it a shake and leave it for a while,give it another shake it should be cleaner and smell fresher
Wet a cloth and wring it out until its almost dry and gently go over the fir. Let it air dry. Do not put it in a washer or dryer or you will ruin the bear.
wqashing machiene

No comments:

Post a Comment